Monday 12 March 2012

Time for Improvement/Filming Day 2

After receiving feedback from my classmates, I set about adding a few shots into my film opening so that I could fill in the gaps and also, in adding extra shots, I am able to shorten the lengthy shots of Lia writing and add in cutaway shots which should make the viewer's experience of my film opening less monotonous.

I also needed to film a short shot with Lia as in my rough cut, the footage where Lia gets to the window was not usable so I left it out of my rough cut hoping that it would look ok. In a nutshell, it didn't so i had to reshoot. Unfortunately, my actress was not available to film when I wanted to so I improvised and dressed up as Lia myself. I thought that because I had the costume available to me and the same dark hair as my actress, I could probably pull off a shot from behind of Lia walking to the window. Before I could do that however, I had to make a few changes. My hair is naturally curly and, quite frankly, wild whilst my actress' hair was straight so I had to pull out the straighteners and subject my hair to hot iron plates. Then my mum put my hair in bunches and used the original ribbon used in my first shoot to put bows in my hair. Once I put the costume on, I could just about pass as my actress from behind so I set to work shooting.



Overall, it went pretty well and although I couldn't get the lighting quite dark enough, I should be able to alter this in After Effects.


As for cutaway shots, I spend a good half an hour searching the house for something interesting to shoot that was relevant to my film. I then stumbled across my mum's vintage book collection and found a chronicle of the 20th century. In it were all the headlining article in newspapers throughout the 20th century. Immediately I flicked through to 1969 and found the article about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon. I took a few shots and moved on. I then found old, leather bound dictionaries and experimented with a few shots around the definition of 'alien' but I'm not sure whether these will make the final cut. Also when I was searching around, I was very happy to find an original 1976 Star Trek annual... but that's not really relevant so I'll just save that for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment